Ph.D – Biological Sciences
Upon successful completion of the doctoral program, the student is transformed from an amateur to professional researcher who is capable of planning and executing projects in his/her area of expertise.
Pilani, K K Birla Goa, Hyderabad
Matching with the Institute philosophy of integrated approach to the modern areas of science and technology, the Department of Biological Sciences at the BITS Pilani was formed by merging the existing Botany and Zoology Department in the year 1969. Since then the Department is engaged in providing the quality education to the selected students and contributing to the field of modern biology by the adequate research input. Drawing manpower from Biology, Pharmacy, Chemistry and Computer Science Departments, the institute created Centre for Biotechnology. The centre was formally launched in the year 1999 with the active fund support and technical expertise from Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA. Currently the Department is offering M.Sc.(Hons) Biological Sciences, M.E.(Biotech) and Ph.D Programmes
- 14.78 Cr. + Research funding in last three years
- 18 Self Sponsored Projects
- 783+ No. of Research Publications
- 2 Ramalingaswami Fellows
The department offers a full time Ph.D. programme in the following thrust areas of its research.
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Therapeutic Biology
- Str. Biology & Bioinformatics
- Plant Biotechnology
- Structural Biology
- Computational Biology
- Molecular Parasitology
- M.Sc. (Physics) or Equivalent Degree with a minimum of 60% marks.
- Shortlisted Candidates will be called for a written test which will be followed by an interview.
- Candidates who have cleared the CSIR-JRF will be exempted from the written test.
- Candidates working in reputed Govt. and Private organizations can apply for a part time PhD program.
- Monthly Institute Fellowship of Rs. 28,000 (if M.Sc. or EquivalentDegree) will be provided initially to the full-time PhD students which will be enhanced from time to time subject to performance.
- Full-time PhD students admitted into the PhD program are eligible to be considered for an Institute fellowship of Rs. 28,000 or Rs. 31,000 per month in the first year based on their qualifications at the time of admission.
- Students admitted with M.E./M.Tech./M.Pharm./MBA/M.Phil. or an equivalent Degree are eligible to receive an Institute fellowship of Rs. 31,000/-.
- Students admitted with M.Sc./B.E./B.Pharm. or an equivalent degree are eligible to receive an Institute fellowship of Rs. 28,000/-. These students on successful completion of coursework will receive Rs. 31,000/- from the Semester following the one in which the course work was completed.
- Higher fellowship may be made available in subsequent years. Consideration for Institute fellowship will be as per Institute norms. It will be obligatory on the part of every admitted Full time student to undertake 8 to 10 hours (per week) of work as assigned to him/her by the institute.
Assistant ProfessorDepartment of Biological Sciences
Halophilic Biorefineries for Bioplastics (PHA) production, Hydrothermal Carbonisation/Liquefaction, Technology development for biofuel production (Biohydrogen, Pulsed Electric Fields (PEFs) for extraction of value added products, Biodiesel, Biobutanol), Microplastic pollution, Algal Biorefineries