BITS Pilani launches Rakesh Kapoor Innovation Centre for Boosting Campus Entrepreneurship
The centre will have multiple specialized labs in the area such as Internet, Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning, Fin-Tech Labs.
The “Rakesh Kapoor Innovation Centre (RKIC)”, a 3-level, 50,000 sq. ft. facility exclusively for use of students and faculty entrepreneurs was inaugurated in presence of donors and BITS leadership on Oct 8, 2023. RKIC will be the home of Pilani Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Society (PIEDS), the Technology Business Incubator of BITS Pilani.
RKIC was built entirely from donations of BITS alumni and Corporate Social Responsibility funds. The center has 100 co-working seats, several specialized labs including Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, CG-CV, API, Fin-Tech Labs. It will also include administrative offices for professionals and faculty members involved in the incubation process.
Rakesh Kapoor from 1975 batch, on whose name the Centre has been christened, made the largest donation of $1.2 million (roughly Rs 10 crore), inaugurated the Centre. Speaking on the occasion, Rakesh Kapoor said, “Innovation is the lifeblood and engine of economic and societal progress. I am confident that this world-class innovation centre will foster the talent of young engineers and scientists to create innovative products, solutions and services that benefit our planet and our people. With the depth and rigour of a BITS education combined with the culture of innovation and entrepreneurship that pervades campus life. I truly believe the possibilities for the coming generations are limitless. Nothing will give me more pleasure than the centre helping create a culture, especially of innovation and entrepreneurship, which actually results not just in innovation by itself, but results in things that we can do to benefit society, to benefit people around the world. I am absolutely honoured that BITS chose me and put my name on this wonderful initiative.”
Prof. V Ramgopal Rao, Vice-Chancellor, BITS Pilani, said, "As we launch this Innovation Centre at BITS, we begin a new era in entrepreneurship and innovation. This facility exemplifies our commitment to fostering collaboration, curiosity, and innovation. Here, the brightest minds will unite to transform concepts into solutions and aspirations into reality”.
Other donors to the Centre include:
- Anuradha & Prashanth Palakurthi towards Anuradha and Prashanth Palakurthi AI Lab
- Abhinav Asthana and Abhijit Kane towards Postman API Lab
- Chaitanya Kalipatnapu towards Kalipatnapu AR/VR Lab
- Rakesh Verma towards MapmyIndia co-working zone
- Anurag Jain and Ross Perot Jr. towards Perot Jain co-working zone
- Vinod Saraf towards Vinati Organics Limited Mini-Conference Room
- Raghu & Aparna Sethuraman towards Shobitam
- Mukesh Sharma towards Mukesh Sharma co-working zone
- Kiran Bhat towards Kiran Bhat Computer Graphics-Computer Vision Lab
- Prem Talreja towards Conference room
- Hari Menon towards Conference room
- Wadhwani Foundation towards Wadhwani Foundation Co-Working Zone
- Aditya Birla Capital Foundation towards Aditya Birla Capital Foundation Fin-Tech Lab
- Batch of 1993 & Mr. Sreenivasa Reddy (Batch of 1993) towards 1993-98 Batch Ektha IoT Tinkering Lab
- Batch of 1989 towards 1989 Batch UI/UX Lab
- Batch of 1994 towards 1994 Batch Makers Bhavan Foundation Maker Space
- Century Textile & Industries Ltd.
It would be great if more and more BITSian get associated with the Centre and help budding entrepreneurs on the campus become successful. Should you wish to mentor a startup, support an innovation, or invest in it, please reach out to Sachin Arya at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
You Might Also Like
- Coursing through the financial sector with Brilliance: Laura Evelyn Anesly’s Journey from Computer Science to Finance
- Navigating the Intersection of Technology and Business: The Journey of Mary Winni Sheryl from BITS Pilani to Professional Success
- From BITS to the Skies: A Journey with Kanishk Vishwakarma, PhD Candidate in Aerial Robotics at the University of Limerick
- Sakshi Khandelwal’s Journey from Chemical Engineering to Corporate Excellence”
- Kushal Verma: Riding the Creative Business Waves to Mastery