Faculty Recruitment Announcement (June 2023)
- Each department requirement is displayed in detail in the tabular format respective to On campus/Off-campus.
- Applications shall be taken up first for priority subareas, and others shall be taken later basis necessity in between the process.
- Application processing status for each department will be updated in this page periodically.
- The status of your application will be visible in your online application account at each stage when in progress.
Streamlined Hiring Process
- All applicants check eligibility and apply through this portal only.
- Applications undergo screening based on eligibility, and requirement shown as per advertisement.
- Department scrutiny, basis quality of research and teaching experience (if any).
- Audio-Video interaction with Department committee.
- Internal committee reviews basis department feedback.
- Final interview with subject experts.
Application Progress Update
- All the applications received till 17th July 2023 are taken into consideration and will be processed as per the timelines displayed in the following table. For those who missed deadline, online application portal is active 24x7 and may continue to apply for any department and the respective subareas in ON campus and Off-campus, it shall be taken on case-by-case basis if required between the process.
- The processing timelines mentioned against these groups are tentative and may slightly vary.
You are encouraged to apply continuously and Stay tuned!
Groupwise application processing tentative timelines
|Groups||Department Shortlisting Communications||Audio/Video Schedule||Final Interview|
|CSIS, Eco-Fin, EEE, Pharmacy, Management (Off-campus)||August - September||September - October||October - December|
|Biological Sciences., Chemical, Management, Mechanical|
|Civil, Mathematics, Mechanical (Off-campus)|
|Physics, CSIS (Off-campus), Chemistry, HSS, EEE (Off-campus)|
- All the applications received in our portal till 17th July 2023 will be taken up for processing. This includes the applicants who have updated their application for reconsideration.
Prospective Candidates Background
- Having PhD degree(s) with exceptional research footprint and excellent pedigrees in academics is a mandate for the position of Assistant and Associate Professor. Post doctorate is an added advantage.
- Applicants with 3 years of experience as an Assistant Professor post Ph.D. in a reputed institute may be considered for L13A1. Such decisions will be at the discretion of the Selection Committee.
- For a Professor and above position, one must have demonstrated excellence in teaching, research and institute building.
- Industry professionals with rich industry experience and an inclination towards teaching and academics would be preferred for Assistant and Associate professor position.
- These faculty positions will aspire you to contribute to the development of innovative learning models and positively impact the development of new-age industry professionals.
You are encouraged to apply continuously and Stay tuned for new announcement!
Thank you for your interest in the faculty position at BITS PILANI. Applications are only received ON-LINE; No Soft copy or hard copy of CV will be accepted.
Please note that all applications are processed collectively based on need as per the advertisement displayed in this page. Our trusted Recruitment Partner (Taggd by PeopleStrong) will coordinate for the same.
Thanking You with Best Regards,
Faculty Affairs, BITS Pilani
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
BITS Pilani On Campus comprises of three Indian campuses (Pilani, KK Birla Goa Campus and Hyderabad Campus) and one abroad (Dubai Campus). Details of the information for individual campus are available at –
Work Integrated Learning Programmes (WILP)
BITS Pilani conducts Work Integrated Learning Programmes (WILP) as an alternate model of higher education leading to a formal qualification, meant exclusively for working professionals (from a diverse spectrum of industries) to meet their Learning & Development needs. These programmes are offered as,
Company Specific Collaborative Programmes:Programmes offered through structured collaboration with an organization, for its employees only, and
Non Company Specific Programmes:Programmes available to employees of any organizations
Lectures will be delivered through online platforms or in-person classes on the premises of the organization depending on the collaborative industry’s requirements. Since WILP caters to industry professionals, most of the classes are held during the weekends (Saturdays and Sundays).
- The faculty play a significant role in this all-round growth of the Institute by participating in various activities which may be categorized as follows:
- Teaching and Course Development
- Research Involvement
- Institutional Development
- Linkage with the outside world
Faculty members serve multiple roles as teachers, mentors, colleagues, and scholars. They are expected to fulfil various responsibilities related to their assigned duties. Their primary responsibilities are
- Participate in teaching and other academic activities such as programme design and development, content development for programmes offered by WILP.
- Mentoring and evaluating the on-campus students pursuing practice school programmes.
In addition to the above, it is also expected that faculty member participates in other key activities such as strengthening practice schools programmes, establishing new industrial linkages, updating and developing new curriculum in line with the industry’s need, and mentoring industry professionals in various project/dissertation, etc.
Assistant Professor, Academic Level-12:
To attract talent to teaching profession and to give them opportunity to hone the teaching skills and to do research, a Ph.D. holder with less than three years Industrial/Research/Teaching experience, excluding the experience gained while pursuing Ph.D., shall be eligible.
- Qualifications: PhD in a relevant discipline from an institution of high repute (with 1st Div. or 60% at ME/MS/MTech/MPhil/MPharm/MBA/MSc Pre Ph.D. qualification level); Potential for excellence in teaching and research
- At least 4 publications (of which 2 are in journals of international repute).
- Any new Appointment as an Assistant Professor, will have a period of probation for three years. Once he/she successfully completes the period, his/her performance will be reviewed by an internal committee for recommendation to a regular position and will move to Assistant Professor, Academic Level-13A1 upon favourable recommendation.
Associate Professor, Academic Level-13A2
- Qualifications: PhD in a relevant discipline from an institution of high repute (with 1st Div. or 60% at ME/MTech/MS/MPhil/MPharm/MBA/Pre Ph.D. qualification level).
- For new appointment, at least 6 years post‐PhD experience in teaching and/or research, of which at least
- 3 years at the level of an Assistant Professor, Grade-I in Academic Level-13A1 or equivalent; Demonstrated excellence in teaching, research and sponsored R&D.
- At least 10 publications (of which 5 are in journals of international repute). Guided at least one PhD student (independently or jointly with someone else).
- Completed at least one sponsored R&D project of value Rs. 5 L or more as PI (alternatively completed two sponsored R&D projects as a co-PI each of value Rs. 5 L or more).
- Any new Appointment as an Associate Professor, will have a period of probation for one year. Once he/she successfully completes the period, his/her performance will be reviewed by an internal committee for recommendation to a regular position.
Professor, Academic Level-14A
- Qualifications: PhD in a relevant discipline from an institution of high repute (with 1st Div. at ME/MS/MTech /MPhil/MPharm/MBA/Pre Ph.D. qualification level).
- At least 10 years post‐PhD experience in teaching and/or research, of which at least 4 years at the level of an Associate Professor, Academic Level-13A2 or equivalent; Sustained excellence in teaching, research and sponsored R&D; Potential for leadership in research, education and institution building.
- At least 20 publications (of which 10 are in journals of international repute).
- Guided at least one PhD student independently, (alternatively two PhD students jointly with someone else).
- Completed at least two sponsored R&D projects each of value Rs. 5 L or more as PI (alternatively completed one sponsored R&D projects as PI of value Rs. 5 L or more and completed two sponsored R&D Projects as Co- PI each of value Rs 5 L or more).
- Any new Appointment as a Professor, will have a period of probation for one year. Once he/she successfully completes the period, his/her performance will be reviewed by an internal committee for recommendation to a regular position.
Senior Professor, Academic Level-15
- At least 6 years as a Professor at BITS, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated Leadership in Research, Education and Institution building for at least 6 years as a Professor.
- Any new Appointment as a Senior Professor, will have a period of probation for one year. Once he/she successfully completes the period, his/her performance will be reviewed by an internal committee for recommendation to a regular position.
Assistant Professor (Off-Campus), Academic Level-10:
- ME/MS/MTech/MPhil/MPharm/MBA or equivalent in relevant discipline from an Institution of high repute (with 1st Division or 60% throughout) with potential for excellence in Teaching.
Assistant Professor (Off-Campus), Academic Level-12:
- PhD in relevant discipline from an Institution of high repute (with first division or 60% in all University level degrees). OR
- ME (or equivalent) from an institution of repute (with 1st Division or 60% throughout).
- Minimum of six (6) years relevant experience in academics/ industry, with potential for academic excellence and a passion for teaching.
Associate Professor (Off-Campus), Academic Level-13A2:
- Ph.D in relevant discipline from an institution of repute (with 1st Div. or 60% throughout)
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience at the level of Assistant Professor, with an excellent track record of teaching, curriculum & content development, and research. OR
- ME (or equivalent) in relevant discipline from an institution of repute with 1st Div. or 60% throughout,
- Minimum of twelve (12) years of experience of which six years should have been at the level of Assistant Professor, with an excellent track record of teaching, curriculum & content development, and research.
The following is the pay structure for all faculty members:
Entry Pay (Rs.)
2,11,300 (No Cap)
1,73,900 (No Cap)
Dearness allowance (DA), currently 38% of the basic pay is payable to every employee. This will be revised at par with DA announced by central government for its employees.
The annual increment given in the Pay Matrix (as attached in Annexure I) is at 3%, with each cell being higher by 3% over the previous cell, in the same Academic Level/Level, rounded off to the nearest 100. The annual increment to each employee would move up in the same level, with an employee moving from existing cell in the same Academic Level/Level to the immediate next cell in the same academic level.
In case an employee reaches the maximum Increment Cell in the Academic Level/Level for those levels where maximum Increment Cell is defined, such employees will not be eligible for any annual increment, further. However, they shall continue to get the dearness allowance, as applicable.
There shall be two dates for grant of increment namely 1st of January and 1st of July of every year. The employee shall be entitled to only one annual increment depending on the date of appointment, promotion or grant of financial up-gradation.
- Transport Phenomena
- Reaction Engineering
- Process Systems Engineering
- Polymer Science and Engineering
- Petroleum and Petrochemical Engineering
- Biochemical, Environmental and Energy Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Construction, Planning and Management
- Hydraulics and Water Resource Engineering
EEE and Instrumentation
- Communication Systems and Networks (Including Digital Signal Processing)
- Microelectronics & VLSI (Analog & Digital Circuits and Systems)
- Embedded Systems
- Power Systems, Power Electronics
- Instrumentation & Control
- Electronic Materials and Devices
- Design Engineering
- Thermal Engineering & Fluid Mechanics
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Materials including Nano-Materials and MEMS
- Robotics & Mechatronics
- Industrial Engineering & Operations Research
- Automation & Automobile
- Computer Architecture
- Systems & Computer Networks
- Algorithms Theoretical Computer Science
- Software Engineering
- Information Systems including databases
- Computer Applications (AI, Robotics, Graphics, etc)
- Environmental and Microbial Biotechnology
- Plant Science and Development
- Genomics, Proteomics, Transcriptomics and Metabolomics /Integrated Omics
- Biophysics and Structural biology
- Bioinformatics, Computational & System Biology
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Disease Biology, Infection and Immunology
- Cellular Biochemistry and Nanoscience
- Synthetic Biology & Bio(chemical) engineering
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
- Pure Mathematics (Algebra, Analysis and Geometry)
- Applied Mathematics
- Probability & Statistics
- Operations Research & Optimization
- Numerical Analysis
- Condensed matter physics
- Optics and Spectroscopy
- Nuclear & High energy physics, cosmology and astrophysics
- Pharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Natural Drugs and Phyto-Chemistry
- Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance
- Clinical Research and Clinical Pharmacy
Economics and Finance
- Computational Economics
- Finance (Including Financial & Computational Economics)
- Public Policy (including Public Economics)
- Marketing, Sales and Services Management
- Human Resource
- Production and operations Management
- Strategic Management
- MIS/IT in Management
- Organizational Behaviour
- Banking, Finance and Economics
- Business Analytics
- English (Language & Literature)
- Journalism/ Mass Communication/Theatre/film & media Studies
- Linguistics (Computational, Neuro / Psycho etc.)
- Technical Communication and soft skill development
- Philosophy / Psychology
- Sociology / Anthropology
- Political Science / Public Administration
- History / Urban Studies
- Developmental / Environmental Studies/Public Policy
The steps given below give the process through which an application is progressed.
Other than ensuring that your application is complete and accurate, please make sure that you are able to give a technical seminar on your teaching/research background as also on your plans to teach and do research if you were to join BITS. Also ensure that the referees will indeed write letters of reference if and when we write to them. Briefly:
- Applications must be submitted in the prescribed form on BITS’ website. Please ensure that you meet the minimum qualification before applying. However, you may consider applying if you expect to complete the minimum degree requirements within the next 3 months, or so. The appointment will however be conditional upon your completing the degree requirements.
- Incomplete applications will not be entertained.
- You must indicate the campuses for which you wish to be considered. Your application will be considered for short-listing by the concerned committees, one for each discipline and campus you wish to be considered.
- Once the committee decides to take your application forward, you may be invited to give a technical seminar on your (i) background, (ii) research that you have carried out thus far, (iii) your plans to teach and do research if and when you join BITS Pilani. If you have expressed interest in more than one campus, you may have to repeat the seminar at other campuses as well. The seminar may be given in person, or using technology (audio- or video-conferencing).
- The committee may also seek letters of reference from the referees that you have identified in your application. Please be sure they will respond in time.
- There may be a cross-discipline review of the short-listing done by various departments in a given campus. This will be followed by a cross-campus review by the university-level short-listing committee.
- Candidates who are finally short-listed by the university-level short-listing committee will be called for interview by a “selection committee”, one for each discipline, but common to all campuses. It will be to your advantage if you were to appear in person before the committee. However, if you simply cannot, the selection committee would like to interact with you using video-conferencing or over telephone.
For Query, Please Contact:
Prof. Souri Banerjee
Dean Faculty Affairs
Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani
In case of any issues related to On-line Application submission, please write at :
To enquire via telephone: Office of Faculty Affairs Division